Wednesday 27 January 2021

A catch up

Its been over two years since Blue Peter's 60th Birthday and almost as long since I last wrote on this blog. Shall we have a catch up ?

I have stayed in touch with some of the presenters I met during the charity challenge along with some of the team that work on the show.

Here's what happened next :-

April 2019


At the beginning of April 2019 Blue Peter introduced Henry, the tenth dog to become a Blue Peter pet.
Henry a two year old Beagle Basset cross adopted by the show from The Dogs Trust. It had been six years since Blue Peter last had a dog as a regular member of the team. On the morning of Henry's first live show he appeared on BBC Breakfast with Lindsey and featured in all the daily newspapers. Henry often steals the show in the studio and has been on many adventures with the team.


Later in the month Radzi Chinyanganya presented his last Blue Peter after five brilliant years on the programme. So I headed over to the studios to wish him well. Since leaving Blue Peter Radzi has been a regular face on tv presenting and commentating on many sporting events and has just published his first book - Move like a lion encouraging young children to get active. 


Later the same day I caught up with Razi's friend and former Blue Peter colleague Barney Harwood in a touring production of The Wizard of Oz. After the show it was great to chat to Barney who enjoyed looking through my Project 161018 book which he signed with a touching message.



May 2019

For a few weeks after Radzi's departure Lindsey presented the programme with various guest presenters. Presenter number 38 Richie Driss  bounced onto Blue Peter on 26th May 2019.
Richie began his career in community radio before landing a job with JOE.CO.UK where he took on challenges such as swimming with sharks and interviewed a host of football and film stars.
Richie's first challenge for Blue Peter was to sing with the Kingdom Choir at a concert at The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.


Later in the month I went to support Barney Harwood again, this time he was performing at a comedy club trying his hand at stand up. This would be part of a new show he is working on for Netflix.


June 2019

I had a wonderful day at the end of June watching a days filming at Media city in The Blue Peter Garden. The weather was fantastic. In the morning the team recorded a carnival special to be shown later in the Summer. In the afternoon it was the run-through and then the live transmission of that days edition.


November 2019

Blue Peter supports BBC Children in Need every year. For for the 2019 appeal. Blue Peter went old school with the reintroduction of The Bring and Buy sale. I decided to do my bit and make some Blue Peter Badge and Henry cakes which sold well on the cake stall in the Blue Peter Studio.





December 2019

One last trip of the year to Media City and a chance to wish some of the team that work behind the scenes on Blue Peter a Merry Christmas.




March/April/May 2020

As the Covid pandemic takes hold and we go into lockdown everyone's plans are put on hold as we are told to stay safe and stay home. This includes Blue Peter and its presenters so for the next few months Lindsey and Richie present the show from their homes. 

In the early days of lockdown I unfortunately become unwell with Covid. My recovery was slow, but as I did, decided to take part in the 2.6 Challenge. The charity challenge was set up to replace the 2020 London Marathon, that was unable to go ahead due to the pandemic. My challenge was to walk 26 laps, over 3 days, of the little park near my house with my dog Loch. (One lap for each of the former Blue Peter presenters I originally met for Project 161018. (I actually meet 29, but didn't count Lindsey and Razdi for this challenge as they were presenters at the time of the 60th birthday) In doing this challenge I raised a further £150.00 for Guide Dogs and RNLI.





Part way through lockdown presenter number 39 is introduced as Mwaka Mudenda (Mwaksy) joins the team. She also presents Blue Peter from home during her first few weeks on the show. Mwaksy also completes her first BP challenge from home, attempting to set various records. Prior to joining the BP team Mwaksy worked for BBC Sport.


June 2020

As restrictions begin to ease the team return to the studio. Blue Peter has done a brilliant job entertaining and inspiring the children of the UK during the pandemic. To keep this going the team introduce The six badges of Summer scheme. Each week viewers are encouraged to apply for one of the programmes famous badges.

Although much to old to apply for any badges myself I decide to have a go and promote the scheme across my social.

Green Badge Week
I grew some wild flowers to encourage bees, butterflies and other insects.


Sport Badge Week
I had a go at skipping



Music Badge Week
I dug out my old drumsticks



Blue Badge Week
I made a thank you card for the NHS.



Fan club badge week 
I shared some project 161018 pictures including some outtakes and messages from
special guests Peter Purves and Tim Vincent.





Silver Badge week
I wrote a poem about my lockdown, which I read in the Blue Peter Garden.




July 2020
 
Blue Peter takes a Summer break for the first time in several years.
The six badges of Summer has been a huge success and by the end of the month over 43,000 applications had already been received.

September 2020

Blue Peter returns and introduces Adam Beales the programmes 40th presenter. This would be first time the programme has returned to a presenting team of four since 2007. Adam is an extremely successful and popular YouTuber.


December 2020

Blue Peter commissions artist Sally Marshall to to produce a Blue Peter themed unit for Box on the docks, in the grounds of Media City. It incudes her version of the famous Advent Crown and the installation is called Here's one we made earlier.




I also put my crafting head on again and made these Blue Peter themed Christmas Cards for the team.




Blue Peter continues to produce a brilliant weekly live magazine programme for children. Despite Covid restrictions has been able to stay true to its familiar format. One big change this year was the Christmas show. The traditional mass Christmas carol singing of choirs and The Salvation Army Band filling the studio was unable to take place. Instead Mwaksy leads various choirs virtually in a Christmas Medley and a spectacular film involving gliders and fireworks provide some Christmas sparkle.

At some point this year I do hope to finally meet Mwaksy and Adam to take my total of Blue Peter presenters met to 31.

In the meantime watch Blue Peter every Thursday at 5pm on CBBC and the Saturday Morning repeat on BBC2 at 8am, or on BBC iplayer.



No comments:

Post a Comment