Thursday 3 May 2018

Joel Defries

Having said goodbye and thank you to Janet, I still had a few hours before catching the train home, so I headed back into central London. I was walking near the London Palladium when I noticed a young chap walking towards me with a beard and wearing a woolly hat. I instantly recognised him and what a bonus it was Joel Defries. I stopped him and explained what I was doing, he couldn't believe that I had spotted him and allowed me to take a couple of pictures but it was so cold my hands were shaking.






Joel presented Blue Peter from September 2008 until December 2010. Prior to joining Blue Peter Joel lived and worked in New Zealand for a time, presenting music shows both on radio and television.

During his two years on Blue Peter Joel had many adventures including deep sea diving, rowing across The English Channel, Abseiling, becoming The Manager of pop group The Saturdays for a day and helping to refurbish Blackpool Tower. Summer trips include Alaska and Turkey.



In 2009 an entire programme was devoted to his Jewish heritage (Joel's Journey) at the climax of the programme Joel visited Auschwitz were he met a Holocaust survivor who was returning to Auschwitz for the first time.

Also in 2009 Joel presented 26 editions of the children's game show Keep your enemies close, when contestants were forced to work with their rivals instead of their friends.

Joel features in Blue Peter Books 38,39 & 40.





Joel no longer works in television, so it was really great to see him and as I said previously a real bonus for Project 161018.

No comments:

Post a Comment