Sunday 23 April 2017

Barney Harwood and Lindsey Russell

The next blog post I was due to write was going to be about Blue Peter and its long standing association with Guide Dogs. However on Thursday I took a trip over to Media City UK in Salford to take some photographs. I had some lunch and was heading back to catch the tram back into Manchester, when I spotted two familiar figures. It was Barney Harwood and Lindsey Russell members of the current Blue Peter presenting team. Barney remembered me from our meeting in the Summer. I had previously met Barney at the launch day for The Grand Theatre Blackpool's Christmas Pantomime. On that occasion Barney recognised me from an Instagram post, and knew that I had all the Blue Peter books. I couldn't quite believe that at the time, and was thrilled he knew who I was.

I had also grabbed a cheeky selfie with Lindsey in the past. Back in December I was at Media City for the recording of a Pop Quiz special. The Blue Peter Christmas special went out live the same day. I spotted Lindsey walking towards me, wearing reindeer antlers.


Barney Harwood joined the Blue Peter team on 17th January 2011, and he is the 35th Blue Peter presenter. Prior to joining Blue Peter Barney had worked on several other CBBC shows, including :-
Prank Patrol, Basil's Swap Shop, Totally Dr Who and Smile, 
In 2007 Barney won a BAFTA for Best Children's Presenter for his work on Smile.
Barney is also a regular on the Pantomime circuit, playing Aladdin and Peter Pan, amongst others.

Some of Barney's Blue Peter highlights so far have included performing a loop with The Blades at Bournemouth airshow, cycling with the British cycling team and taken part in a survival adventure.

Me and Barney with my Border Terrier Loch, Stanley Park Blackpool
August 2016.
Lindsey Russell is the 36th Blue Peter Presenter. She is the first presenter to be chosen by the programmes viewers.

In the summer of 2013 CBBC launched a show called Blue Peter - You decide!. Over 20,000 hopefuls applied,and 10 were shortlisted to take part in the final competition. The judges on the show were Eamonn Holmes, Myleene Klass and Ceallach Spellman. Over 5 weeks the contestants took part in various Blue Peter style challenges. On 25th July 2013, it was announced that Lindsey had won the public viewer vote. Lindsey's first studio show was on 5th September 2013.

Some of Lindsey's Blue Peter Highlights so far have included running the London Marathon, wing walking and helping to train Guide Dog puppy Iggy.
In 2016 Lindsey attempted to cross The Irish sea in a giant Zorb (21 miles from Northern Ireland to Scotland) in aid of Sport relief. Lindsey did fantastically well after months of training, but sadly had to abandon the attempt part way through due to bad weather.
Lindsey is also the host of another CBBC Show Taking the next step.

Me and Lindsey, Media City UK
December 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment